Girls, I’m going to share my favourite toner with you today. It is the Tea Tree toner from The Body Shop.
To begin with, let me tell you that I have very oily skin. Even in the harshest of Delhi winters, I need to use a toner on my face to control oil and sebum, and to feel fresh.
About The Body Shop Tea Tree Toner:Features a new shake to activate refreshing formula to effectively tone the skin, remove traces of impurities while leaving skin looking matte and without drying out your skin.
Claims: Sweeps away traces of impurities for clearer looking skin. Leaves skin looking mattified.
· Community Trade organic tea tree oil from Kenya – an ingredient renowned for its anti-bacterial benefits, an infusion perfect to help blemished skin
· Tamanu Oil from Madagascar – traditionally used to promote healthy-looking skin and has fantastic skin moisturising properties
· Lemon Tea Tree from Kenya – Anti-bacterial to give the products a zesty fragrance
Instructions: Dampen a piece of cotton pad with Tea Tree Clearing Toner and wipe it gently upwards and outwards without dragging your skin.
Price: I bought it for Rs. 595 in October 2011, but now the price has been increased to Rs. 620.
All the above information has been sourced from The Body Shop‘s Indian website.
Packaging: The bottle is a clear to translucent bottle, mostly covered with the label. It has a flip-top cap, with a rightly sixed hole for dispensing the toner. The cap does not open while travelling, but since it has a liquid inside, you may want to be extra carefull while travelling and pack it properly to avoid any spilling, just in case.
|Consistency and color
Consistency: The Body Shop tea tree toner has corn starch in it, which settles onto the bottom of the bottle, forming a white layer. The toner is otherwise a green, clear liquid. You need to shake the bottle to mix the corn starch and the liquid, which gives you a light green cloudy liquid. On a cotton ball, it comes as a very light green liquid, nothing to worry with the color.
|Before shaking the bottle (note the layer of corn starch at the base)
|After shaking the bottle (note the cloudy green mixture)
Odour/ Smell: This toner smells quite strongly of tea tree, but the smell fades 1-2 minutes after application. First time users may find the smell too strong, though.
I have been using various toners on my skin for more than 2 years now. I religiously follow the CTM routine for skincare. I had previously been using the Lotus Herbals Basiltone Toner, and it wasn’t doing much to control oil on my face. It was way too mild for my very oily skin. I happened to research online for good toners for oily skin, available in India, and The Body Shop Tea Tree toner seemed to be a big hit. This was my first purchase from The Body Shop, and I’m totally happy with it.
Since I so love this toner, I am only going to write my experience with it, instead of the pros and cons.
· On first few applications, the toner led to some mild tingling sensation, which stayed only for a few seconds. Another friend of mine also reported the same to me. But within 2-3 days, my skin got habituated I guess. Same happened with my friend too. So, I guess this shouldn’t be a big deterrent.
· With practice, one can judge how much of the toner should be used each time. I place the cotton ball on the lid, invert it 4 times, and that’s exactly how much I need every time. If I go overboard, it makes my skin a bit stretchy.
· This toner has really helped in clearing out my skin. It leaves the skin feeling refreshed and matte, and it helps in reducing the size of minor pores around my nose. It keeps the skin mattified for some time, and helps in reducing breakouts.
· Since a very small amount is needed for each application, one bottle will last me for more than a year. I have been using this toner twice a day for the last 7 months, and you can see how much of it is still left in the bottle. I wonder when this will get over.
· I also use it for spot treatment for acne. Just take 1-2 drops on a cotton ball, and place it on the eruption for 1 minute. This helps in quicker healing of the eruption, and helps reduce the redness.
· You will need to use a moisturiser with this toner after each application (even if you have oily skin).
· It also picks up any last traces of make-upleft on your skin, even after removing make-up and washing your face.
· The price may be a deterrent for some, but trust me, this can be the best investment for your skin, if you have oily skin. Plus, it will last you for atleast a year.
Verdict: I absolutely love The Body Shop Tea Tree toner, and I am definitely going to repurchase it, once this bottle gets over, that is. I strongly recommend this to girls with oily, acne prone skin.
Till next time, take care!